eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

lundi 4 juin 2007

Insurance Issues

Posted on 14:10 by Unknown
Not a day goes by here when I am not faced with an insurance issue to address. It still amazes me that insurance companies can take your monthly payments and then go ahead and shut you out in terms of treatment. Clearly not all insurance companies are problematic but I will say that many of them are...

Last year we had very productive discussions with Aetna and they were very open to discussing what we do here and how we do it. Other companies were not at all interested in our views.

Here is a true story: Several years ago I had a patient whose husband was azoospermic - no sperm in the ejaculate. We had arranged for a testicular biopsy with a urologist and had frozen sperm that could be used for IVF. Everything was going great until the patient called in a panic. She said that her insurance company said that IVF could not be approved because she had not completed all the needed tests. I couldn't imagine what was going on so I called them and got a representative on the phone. Here is our conversation as I remember it:


DrG: Hello, I am calling about Mary Brown (not her real name) and I was wondering why her IVF was not approved.

Insurance agent: Hello, Dr Gordon. Well, she hasn't done all the needed infertility testing yet.


DrG: Really? What is she missing?


Insurance agent: We don't have the results of her post-coital test.


DrG: That's because I didn't do one.


Insurance agent: We can't approve IVF until we know the results.


DrG: I didn't do one because her husband is azoospermic...he has no sperm in his ejaculate.


Insurance agent: Still, I need to know the results of a post coital test.


DrG: Do you understand that the post coital test looks for sperm in the cervix and since he has no sperm the test will be pretty obviously abnormal....


Insurance agent: Still, I need to know the results of a post coital test.


DrG: Hold on a minute....(10 second pause) ...OK I just did the post coital test. It shows no sperm...


Insurance agent: Thanks Dr Gordon she is approved for IVF.


Funny but sad.... OK so here is today's Question of the Day from the upcoming book by yours truly.


20. Will my insurance pay for my fertility treatments?

Insurance coverage for infertility varies widely across the United States. Several states, including Massachusetts, Illinois, and Maryland, have passed legislative mandates for infertility coverage. In these states, access to fertility treatment is guaranteed through the patient’s employer. in the vast majority of states, however, fertility coverage is inconsistent. Some companies may offer extensive fertility benefits, while others offer no coverage at all to their employees. It is important that you understand your specific benefits before you seek out any kind of fertility treatment. Insurance plans may provide a specific dollar amount to spend on fertility treatments or cover a certain number of cycles of either IUI or IVF. You should work with your fertility provider’s billing staff to determine which benefits are available to you before launching into a treatment plan. Given that some insurance plans may cover infertility more extensively than others, it is always appropriate to examine your insurance options during periods of open enrollment for health benefits. Many insurance companies will not cover fertility treatments in patients who have been voluntarily sterilized (e.g., vasectomy, tubal ligation). Plans may also have specific requirements in terms of duration of fertility and exclusion criteria for IVF concerning ovarian reserve testing or age.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ▼  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ▼  juin (22)
      • If At First You Don't Succeed...
      • You've got to Change Your Cheating Ways
      • Sex during Treatment
      • Endo is a pain
      • How Times Have Changed
      • How about an ICSI split?
      • To ICSI or not to ICSI, that is the Question
      • Video Games and ICSI
      • A Special Donation
      • Testicular Sperm = ICSI
      • Azoospermia
      • Boxers vs Briefs?
      • The Weaker Sex
      • I Want Answers
      • Urban Legends and the Postcoital Test
      • Fun in the Sun...Dominion style
      • Mistaken Identity
      • It Takes 2 to Tango...
      • Insurance Issues
      • Career Choices
      • The OHSS woes
      • More on Ovarian Reserve
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet