eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

lundi 31 mars 2014

Managing DOR at Dominion Fertility

Posted on 08:26 by Unknown
Here in Washington DC we love acronyms. The entire government is one big acronym....DHS, HHS, DOJ, IRS, etc, etc.

In medicine we are similarly guilty of using incomprehensible terminology. We say "ick-see" (ICSI) but spell out IVF. We throw around terms like IUI, DI, AI without a second thought.

Last week during a consult a patient confided in me that she had "door." I didn't want to sound like a dolt so I just rolled with it until she asked me again if I had a lot of patients with "door." Hmmm. Now this past week I was under the weather from some unknown cause and needless to say I was a bit slow on the uptake. Finally, the synapses clicked and I got it..."door" = "DOR"= diminished ovarian reserve.

Diminished ovarian reserve refers to the clinical situation of a patient who has a limited number of follicles (usually for unexplained reasons) and therefore whose response to fertility drugs is usually very disappointing. Many patients with DOR fail to get egg collection in a stimulated IVF cycle and end up getting canceled after spending thousands of dollars on fertility medications that were ultimately of no benefit.

There have been numerous suggestions as to what drug protocol is best to use to stimulate such patients: microdose lupron flare, stop lupron, no lupron, clomid/gonadotropin combo, low dose stim, high dose stim, snake oil and pixie dust.... In addition, many adjuvant drugs have been used: DHEAS, growth hormone, thyroid hormone, MiracleGrow, etc.

There is no real harm in trying these protocols (except to one's bank account and also the emotional exhaustion that sets in when repeated cycles have failed to get off the ground). 

So at the end of the day patients who have repeatedly failed to get to egg collection are usually told that their only options are egg donor or adoption or quit trying. However, one benefit of having a well-established Natural Cycle IVF program is the profound satisfaction I get from receiving birth announcements (sometimes with yummy cookies attached) from patients who were previously told that their situation was hopeless. So although I totally agree that donor egg IVF or adoption are higher yield options in terms of success, these are not always viable choices for all patients. In addition, just the act of trying NC IVF represents an important bridge for some patients.

So I guess the take home lesson is that in our office is that if you have DOR that doesn't mean I am going to show you the DOOR. (ugh, terrible pun but couldn't resist).
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ▼  mars (1)
      • Managing DOR at Dominion Fertility
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet