eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mercredi 1 juillet 2009

Can my endometrium be too thick?

Posted on 07:20 by Unknown
Wow, what a terrible blogger I have been these past few weeks. No new posts for a while and no insightful hints for the 3 regular readers of this blog (sorry Mom, I promise to call this week!). I could make up some incredible story about how I have been performing 80 hours of community service a week or that I have been traveling to South America with certain public officials from South Carolina or that I have been sick for weeks with the Swine Flu. Clearly, this last excuse may engender some sympathy....but the truth is that I have just been pulled in too many directions. Sorry.

So let's discuss the endometrium here since I recently received a slew of questions on the INCIID site about the thickness of the endometrium and what is ideal for fertility. Abraham Lincoln was once asked "How long should a man's legs be?" He astutely answered "Long enough to reach the ground." The same could be said for the endometrium in that it needs to be thick enough to allow for implantation of the embryo. Most studies suggest that "long enough" is anything over 7-8 mm.

So a few years ago I had a patient that was trying to get ready to do an FET cycle and had not had a period for 6 months and had PCOS. On sonogram the lining was pretty darn thick at 22mm (usual is 7-12mm). Patients with PCOS are clearly at risk for endometrial hyperplasia and even endometrial cancer. So I gave her a couple of weeks of Provera to get the lining to shed. No significant bleeding and the lining was still at 22 mm. So I did an endometrial biopsy which was read by pathology as possible cancer. Yikes! I immediately sent her to one of our local Gyn Oncologists who did an office D&C that yielded only scant tissue.

When I repeated the sonogram the damn lining was still 22 mm. I really was getting concered here but too a step backwards and decided to do a water sonogram in the office. Guess what. There was a large polyp sitting right there in the cavity and since polyps can have an unusual appearance on pathology that would explain the initial concern about cancer. The patient underwent hysteroscopy and I was able to easily remove the polyp. Case closed.

So when patient inquire about endometrial thickness I usually respond that as long as it is a normal lining without a polyp or a fibroid or cancer then thick is fine.

Thin endometrial linings can be another matter. Some patients have a thin lining becasue of previous surgery or simply because that is the lining that they have been giving and nothing can really improve upon it. I have tried all the usual voo-doo for thin linings....vaginal estrogen, Viagra, terbutaline, nitroglycerine, animal sacrifice...you name it. Some seem to help, some don't...I honestly have no recipe that works for everyone. The thinest lining that I ever had that resulted in a healthy baby was 5 mm!

So good luck growing those endometriums but try not to panic if you have an 8 mm and not a 15 mm lining. Anything >7mm should be fine and if waiting an extra week gains you a mm or two then all the better.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ▼  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ▼  juillet (4)
      • It only takes one!
      • What is AMH?
      • Gestational Carrier IVF
      • Can my endometrium be too thick?
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet