eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mardi 16 mars 2010

Question 7: What are typical causes of infertility?

Posted on 08:09 by Unknown
Being a fertility specialist is a bit like being a detective. You gather the evidence and then work on a hypothesis. Once you have the hypothesis, then you can test it out and see if the problem is resolved. Today I saw a new patient that was very frustrated with her situation and the response that she had gotten from her previous physicians. I listened carefully to her story and then explained carefully what I thought explained her particular problem. We now have a plan to test my hypothesis. If I am right then we will all be very happy, but I think that even if I am wrong then at least the couple understood how I approached the problem in a logical fashion.

Ultimately there are not that many fertility issues and common things are common. But every patient has their own story to tell and we need to listen in order to make sound decisions. So what types of problems do we deal with? Good question and the topic of today's Question of the Day from the upcoming 2nd Edition of 100 Questions and Answers about Infertility.


7. What are typical causes of infertility?

The causes of infertility are wide ranging but can be examined in light of the reproductive cycle described in Question 1. (See Table 1.) In general, the causes of infertility can be equally divided between the male and female partners in a couple.

Half of all infertility cases, therefore, involve problems with the sperm of the male partner. Unfortunately, functional tests for sperm competence (the ability of sperm to fertilize an egg) are not available leaving us to rely upon the descriptive components of the semen analysis. A complete semen analysis should include the total number of sperm (concentration), the percentage of those sperm that are moving (motility), and the shape of those sperm (morphology).

Many factors can reduce the female partner’s ability to conceive. For example, a woman may have anatomical problems related to the fallopian tubes, uterus, and peritoneal structures within the pelvis such as adhesions or endometriosis. Problems with ovulation are very common in infertile patients, and women with irregular periods may suffer from a common disorder such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Another major fertility factor is reproductive aging. Peak fertility occurs when a woman is in her twenties, and it declines significantly during her thirties and forties. The rate of decline increases after the age of 35 as is evident in decreased IVF pregnancy rates and decreased embryo implantation rates in this age group.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • Question 44. What complications can occur after IUI?
    Years ago in Long Island I had a patient experience an allergic reactions to an IUI. She got very bad hives and even began to have a bit of ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • How to do an FET
    In my last blog post I discussed the general concept of frozen embryos which is certainly a bit of a mind bending concept by itself. But I w...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • Question 43. My doctor wants to use Lupron or Antagon during my IUI cycle. What are these drugs, and why do I need them? I thought they were only for
    The blue screen of death....or in the world of Mac computers...the gray screen of death with the question mark folder. These two phenomenon...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ▼  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ▼  mars (13)
      • Question 13. What is ureaplasma, and how did I get...
      • Question 12: What is a hysteroscopy, and do I nee...
      • Question 11. What is a laparoscopy, and do I need ...
      • Question 10. What is antimullerian hormone and wha...
      • Question 9. What is ovarian reserve, and how is it...
      • Question 8: What tests will we have to undergo as ...
      • Question 7: What are typical causes of infertility?
      • Question 6: How do I choose a fertility clinic?
      • Question 5: Who should evaluate the infertile couple?
      • Question 4: Is Infertility Becoming More Common?
      • Question 3: How Common is Infertility
      • Question 2: What is Infertility?
      • New Beginnings - Question 1: How does normal repro...
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet