eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mercredi 16 juin 2010

Question 28. If I had my tubes tied, can I have them untied?

Posted on 12:59 by Unknown
This has been a busy couple of days here at Dominion as DrD is off for a well-deserved bit of R&R. Trying to do the work of 2 doctors is kind of like clapping with one hand...but so it goes. Today I was asked again about what to do in cases of previous tubal ligation. This clinical scenario comes up fairly frequently and so it is certainly a valid question to discuss. I have not done a tubal reversal surgery in many years and usually refer all interested parties to Dr. Gary Berger in Chapel Hill, NC. In spite of Dr. Berger's office being on the Carolina blue side of the Duke blue/Carolina blue divide, he is a skilled and caring MD with an office based surgery center. His price for a tubal reversal is very reasonable and for those patients sure about going down this path I think that he is an excellent choice and well worth the trip to NC.

However, not all patients are good candidates for tubal reversal and many end up considering Natural Cycle IVF or Stimulated Cycle IVF as better choices. Plus after having an IVF baby there are no concerns about birth control as your tubes are still tied!

So here is today's Question of the Day....


28. If I had my tubes tied, can I have them untied?


Fertile women who have had their “tubes tied” (tubal ligation) may do very well and achieve pregnancy with tubal reanastomosis surgery. Pregnancy rates of 70% to 80% are noted in women who undergo a tubal reversal procedure, depending on their age, the type of tubal ligation procedure performed, and the presence (or absence) of other infertility factors.

Most often, this repair (tubal reanastamosis) requires a laparotomy, which involves a bikini-line incision of the lower abdomen. This major surgery requires 2 to 4 weeks for recovery, and most insurers do not cover it. Some physicians have reported good success with laparoscopic tubal reanastamosis, but this approach can be more technically challenging. As a consequence, most women choose to undergo a nonsurgical IVF procedure instead. Studies have shown that IVF is usually more cost-effective than surgical reanastomosis of the fallopian tubes. Specifically, if the surgery fails to establish a pregnancy, then IVF may be necessary anyway. Patients with a previous tubal ligation are usually excellent candidates for IVF, including Natural Cycle or unstimulated IVF, given their previous fertility.

However, patients who are shown to have diminished ovarian reserve with a history of a previous tubal ligation should be carefully advised of the potential for a poor response to fertility medications. In such cases, tubal reanastamosis or Natural Cycle IVF may represent more appropriate options.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • Question 44. What complications can occur after IUI?
    Years ago in Long Island I had a patient experience an allergic reactions to an IUI. She got very bad hives and even began to have a bit of ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • How to do an FET
    In my last blog post I discussed the general concept of frozen embryos which is certainly a bit of a mind bending concept by itself. But I w...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • Question 43. My doctor wants to use Lupron or Antagon during my IUI cycle. What are these drugs, and why do I need them? I thought they were only for
    The blue screen of death....or in the world of Mac computers...the gray screen of death with the question mark folder. These two phenomenon...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ▼  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ▼  juin (3)
      • Question 29. If I had a previous ectopic pregnanc...
      • Question 28. If I had my tubes tied, can I have th...
      • Question 27. Can fallopian tubes be repaired and w...
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet