eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

lundi 21 mars 2011

Question 45. How would I know when to pursue more advanced fertility treatments?

Posted on 11:16 by Unknown
In the Kenny Rogers song the gambler there is a very famous line "you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run...." Sometimes I think about that line when counseling patients, but fortunately for them I never break out into song during a consultation. Deciding when to move onto more advanced treatments is a common concern among most fertility patients. Even those that start with IVF have to consider moving to donor egg/embryo if success is eluding us. I wish that I had that crystal ball to provide a glimpse into the future. That way I could advise patients "Don't worry, I know the 3rd IUI will work or the second clomid cycle or the first IVF or the FET or whatever.....But I don't have that ability...and if I did I would have used it to play the Powerball lottery and then it would be "see-ya later."

In general, most successful treatments will occur in the first 3-4 cycles of whatever treatment has been chosen. It can be hard to hold my tongue when a patient describes 18 months of continuous clomiphene or 9 clomid / IUI cycles or 7 FSH /IUI cycles etc etc.

No one wants to be a professional fertility patient....there just isn't any money in it. But seriously, most couples/individuals can only take so much disappointment before they throw in the towel and consider alternative paths to parenting. So if you don't have a Magic Eight Ball handy....how do you know when to "fold 'em" and move on.....well that is the Question of the Day from the 2nd Edition of 100 Questions and Answers about Infertility.

P.S. Princeton lost to Kentucky by 2 points.....oh well.


45. How would I know when to pursue more advanced fertility treatments?

The decision to seek out more advanced fertility treatments is a complex question, and multiple factors must be considered when making it. For most couples undergoing treatment with IUI (either alone or with fertility drugs), the best chances for success usually occur within the first four treatment cycles. After that, the likelihood for pregnancy decreases. In many of our patients, we recommend only one or two IUI treatments. If these efforts are unsuccessful, we suggest that the couple proceed with other more aggressive treatments including both Natural Cycle IVF and traditional IVF using injectible fertility medications.

For some patients, IUI should rarely be utilized. For example, those couples with severe tubal disease, severe endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, or severe male factor infertility may do best by directly proceeding with IVF as their first treatment option. If an age factor is present or if the couple has prolonged infertility (infertility lasting more than 5 years), we often recommend IVF first, as well. Remember that IVF is the only treatment for which even a failed treatment cycle provides some insight into a couple’s fertility potential. IVF does allow us to make some assessment of egg quality, fertilization and embryo development. A failed IUI cycle yields no such information as we only know that the cycle failed but learn nothing about fertilization, embryo growth or embryo quality.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ▼  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ▼  mars (5)
      • Question 46: What is IVF, and how is it performed?
      • Question 45. How would I know when to pursue more ...
      • Princeton Beats Hahvahd (WARNING: This Post Has NO...
      • Question 44. What complications can occur after IUI?
      • Question 43. My doctor wants to use Lupron or Ant...
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet