eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mercredi 29 février 2012

Question of the Day: Failed FETs, what to do next?

Posted on 06:00 by Unknown
Question of the Day:

Hello Dr,
I had egg retrieval in sept 2011 5 blastocyst and 6 third day embryo.I ended having OHSS and transfer was cancelled. I had my FET done with one five day embryo in october 2011 which did not work.
I had one more FET done with two embryos from third day. Today is 12th day and I got -ve on HPT.I also gave my blood this morning will have results tomorrow.I am afraid that result may be -ve.
At this I do not know what to do for IVF to work.I have followed all the instructions religiously.

What would you suggest if I was your patient. Or what you do different in my next FET cycle.
Thanks.


DrG answers:

Clearly a very frustrating situation. Here a patient had a great response to IVF medications…so great that she had to freeze all the embryos. The embryo development sounds pretty good as 5 blastocysts and 6 D3 cleavage stage embryos were frozen. Following 2 FET attempts nothing has worked.

However, I don't have all the details. Why were there both D3 and D5 embryos frozen? Why did the second FET involve the transfer of D3 embryos instead of D5 embryos? How experienced is the clinic with D5 freezing?

A few years ago we changed to ultra rapid freezing or vitrification of our blastocysts. Slow freezing is not as good an option when dealing with more developed embryos. We usually see a 95% survival rate with D5 embryos and the implantation rates are identical for fresh vs. frozen embryos. However, not all clinics have as good a track record so these questions needs to be asked in order to better understand why there has been no success in spite of the cryo-all…

However, let's assume that this is my patient and I have a great confidence in my FET program. I think that if the actual embryo transfers have been easy then one has to consider there may be a uterine factor. Patients in this situation may benefit from a hysteroscopy and an endometrial biopsy to further investigate the failure to initiate a pregnancy. Interestingly, performing an endometrial biopsy may improve implantation in the following FET cycles. The mechanism of action may involve reparative changes in the lining following the biopsy but no one really knows…. Finally, I assume that assisted hatching (AH) has been used in the prior FETs but if not then clearly AH should be used...
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ▼  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ▼  février (6)
      • Question of the Day: Failed FETs, what to do next?
      • Question of the Day: Blocked Tubes and IVF
      • Natural Cycle IVF Success After Essure
      • DrG on NBC
      • Endometriosis and NC IVF
      • Question 61. I had an allergic reaction to the pro...
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet