eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mercredi 10 octobre 2012

Scare Tactics

Posted on 07:29 by Unknown
My brother Steve loved to scare the daylights out of me when I was a kid. He hid under my bed, in my closet, in the boiler room in our basement, in the hall closet or in the garage just waiting for me to pass by before jumping out and trying to give me a heart attack.

Just look at this picture of the two of us in the backyard of my house in Milton. Is there any way that I was not going to end up in therapy after being tormented incessantly? Actually, I have avoided therapy so far but interestingly enough many of my nightmares take place in the house where I grew up....I wonder why?

Sometimes it is the job of a physician to counsel patients about the scary things that can happen during fertility treatment or in pregnancy itself. Clearly there is a fine line between full disclosure and doing the healthcare equivalent of jumping out from under the bed with a latex mask covering your head causing your younger brother to scream like a little girl...

A few weeks ago there was a story in the news about a 61 year old who successfully carried a pregnancy for her daughter who was unable to be pregnant herself. Here is the link to the story for those who are interested. That week I received several phone calls from local news media asking if we had ever had a patient carry a baby who was that old and if we did could they please speak to someone who had a horrible complication of such a pregnancy such as death of the baby or the gestational carrier... Well, at least they didn't beat around the bush in regards to the story that they were after....

I am a very risk adverse physician. It gives me chest pain to contemplate someone over 60 years old carrying a pregnancy because the risk seems excessive to me. Of course, I am not the one carrying the pregnancy, nor a family member involved in the decision so the issue becomes one of informed consent and patient autonomy. Last year I was accused by a patient of being horribly insensitive when I recommended that she use a gestational carrier because of a profound uterine issue that I believed put her and her unborn child at excessive risk. She posted a very negative review of my handling of the situation and put me in the category of a fear monger (along with older brothers who wear latex masks and torture their angelic younger brothers). I felt terrible (unlike my Brother Steve) and reached out to her to clarify my position and apologize for how my advice was delivered. She thanked me for taking the time to discuss the issue with her and accepted my apology (but never revised her online rant..oh well). However, I remain convinced that my advice was sound. Ultimately, patients vote with their feet and at least here in Washington there is no shortage of REs to provide a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion. Walking that fine line between scare tactics and good advice is tricky.

As a 3rd generation physician I believe that medicine is a calling not just an occupation. So as a physician I need to look in the mirror every morning and believe that I have done my very best and that I am truly giving the best advice that I can to my patients...and I need to be sure that there is not an idiot in a latex mask hiding in my shower....
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ▼  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ▼  octobre (3)
      • Happy Halloween!
      • Scare Tactics
      • New Hope for Hyperstim...Curing the OHSS Woes (Par...
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet