eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mercredi 3 octobre 2007

Doctor Personality Issues

Posted on 07:08 by Unknown
All doctors have different styles and as a patient I truly believe that you need to be comfortable with your physician. There is a level of trust that must exist between patient and physician and this relationship goes both ways. Some patients want to abdicate all decision making responsibility and others want to agonize over every minor point sending their RE emails several times a day.

Overall, I think that I have a pretty good rapport with my patients and thus I am puzzled by the fact that twice in as many weeks I have had patients comment to the nurses that I am the “mean” or “serious” doctor in the practice. These were Dr. D's patients and I must admit that I did not do any routines for these patients from Monty Python and the Holy Grail nor used any references from Star Wars in my interactions with them. Go figure. So for any of those patients passing through the hallowed halls of Dominion Fertility, let me know if I have somehow undergone a personality change. This has happened in the past….

During my 2nd year of residency at Stanford our first child was born and he was what is known as a “fussy baby.” Sleeping was not his thing and so when I was on call at the hospital my wife was awake all night at home. So when I got home after 36 hours on call she would hand me Seth and say “he’s all yours.” It got so bad that my fellow residents took up a petition for us to put him on rice cereal to end the madness. The medical students who had previously given me good ratings turned on me labeling me “the type of doctor that I hope never to become…”

So enough about me…back to IVF and when to use it. Here is the “Question of the Day” from the book written by your favorite mean and serious RE…

51. How do I know if I need IVF?

Not all patients need IVF or are good candidates for IVF. Thus the answer to this question can be determined only after you undergo a comprehensive infertility evaluation by your reproductive endocrinologist. Nevertheless, some situations clearly require the use of IVF. For example, women with absent or severely damaged fallopian tubes should be treated immediately with IVF. Likewise, IVF should be performed first if the male partner has very poor sperm quality. For other patients, the use of IVF may be less clear-cut, especially given that many different treatment options exist. In such cases, the doctor should discuss with the couple the pros and cons of each option, and then all parties should jointly decide on a treatment plan.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • Question 44. What complications can occur after IUI?
    Years ago in Long Island I had a patient experience an allergic reactions to an IUI. She got very bad hives and even began to have a bit of ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • How to do an FET
    In my last blog post I discussed the general concept of frozen embryos which is certainly a bit of a mind bending concept by itself. But I w...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • Question 43. My doctor wants to use Lupron or Antagon during my IUI cycle. What are these drugs, and why do I need them? I thought they were only for
    The blue screen of death....or in the world of Mac computers...the gray screen of death with the question mark folder. These two phenomenon...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ▼  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ▼  octobre (6)
      • Can PGS improve IVF outcome?
      • Is PGD safe?
      • What is PGD/PGS?
      • How many do I put back?
      • Is Possession 9/10ths of the Law?
      • Doctor Personality Issues
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet