eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

vendredi 5 octobre 2007

Is Possession 9/10ths of the Law?

Posted on 07:46 by Unknown
Readers of this blog may recall that my MacBook Pro was stolen from my car while it was parked in my driveway on a residential street in Bethesda, MD. Like a complete idiot I had left it in my unlocked car overnight and like an even bigger idiot I had not password protected the computer (huge gasp of shock from the reader). Fortunately, the computer was fully backed up just 48 hours earlier and I successfully restored all of my files (including the photo of me in my Boy Scout leader uniform which I have mercifully deleted from the blog).

Last night my son, Seth, came running downstairs and asked me to check out the weird message on my iTunes account. On my iTunes account info page my name had been changed to Marvin Dixon and my phone number had been replaced by a number that I did not recognize. This was not the first time I had seen this name. On Wed night I had received an email that listed my email account but with the name Marvin Dixon, not my name…

So I called Mr. Dixon who informed me that he had indeed purchased a MacBook Pro from a local Pawn Shop and had no idea it was stolen. Didn’t he wonder why it had all those files still on it??? Nope, he just figured someone needed the cash and sold it to the Pawn Shop. He said that he had taken it to the Mac store and they had helped him enter his name into the computer and the .Mac account! I was so pissed off at Apple if this is true. I had called repeatedly to Apple to ask if the computer could be listed as stolen based upon the serial number so that if someone took it to the Apple Store then it would send up a red flag. Not possible I was told repeatedly.

So I called the police, having previously filed a report and gave them the information about the new owner. The officer was very polite. I then asked him what happens next. Well, if Mr. Dixon did indeed purchase it from the Pawn Shop then the computer is now his!! So can I ask the great legal minds reading this blog to comment on this statement? Is possession 9/10th of the law?

Meanwhile, how about IVF. Does it work? How well does it work? That is today’s Question of the Day from the Doctor now known as Marvin Dixon…

52. How successful is IVF?


Overall, the success rates for IVF have improved markedly since 1978 (when Louise Brown was conceived), but success rates vary widely depending on the couple’s infertility factors and the clinic performing the IVF procedure. Success rates for U.S. IVF clinics are published on the CDC’s website (http://www.cdc.gov/ART/index.htm). The standardization of clinic success rates evolved from 1994 passage of the Fertility Clinic Success Rate and Certification Act (the so-called Wyden law), which seeks to protect U.S. consumers from inflated IVF success rates. Importantly, many subtleties influence clinic-specific IVF pregnancy rates, including patient selection bias (that is, some clinics tend to treat tougher cases, so their success rates might be lower than those of clinics that take only routine cases).

For women younger than 34 years of age, most will achieve pregnancy within one to three treatment cycles; indeed, many succeed in their first attempt. For women older than 35 years, the success rates tend to decrease simply because the aging process affects the quality of these women’s eggs. For a detailed discussion of IVF success rates, couples should visit the website for the clinic where they are considering treatment. They should also discuss their specific likelihood of success with their reproductive endocrinologist. IVF pregnancy rates do vary by clinic, so patients should carefully scrutinize their chances for success at the particular clinic rendering treatment.
Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ▼  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ▼  octobre (6)
      • Can PGS improve IVF outcome?
      • Is PGD safe?
      • What is PGD/PGS?
      • How many do I put back?
      • Is Possession 9/10ths of the Law?
      • Doctor Personality Issues
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet