eating while pregnant

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

mardi 1 janvier 2013

Happy New Year!

Posted on 09:41 by Unknown
Happy New Year to all! Well 2012 is in the can and 2013 is full of promise. In looking back over nearly 6 years of blog posts I notice that I have rarely posted on January 1 so here's hoping that I can keep up the pace so that the 17 individuals who read this blog will not be disappointed with a paucity of posts by yours truly.

It is important to be careful what you wish for....Last week I was on vacation and laying in bed listening as freezing rain lashed the windows. We were on vacation with our expended family and my brother-in-law's sons had rarely had the opportunity to play in the snow. I was so disappointed that they were only getting freezing rain instead of snow. Ice storms they can get in North Carolina but snow would be something different entirely.

Suddenly quiet descended and I looked out the window and saw absolutely nothing....complete whiteout! The snow fell and fell and fell. By the end of the week I was pretty sick of shoveling the fluffy white stuff but the boys had a great time sledding and having snowball fights. I guess the lesson to remember here is: Be careful what you wish for...you may get that wish after all. I am constantly sharing this advice with patients who request twins. Twins can be a lot more overwhelming than shoveling snow 5 times a day...and this comes from a man who doesn't personally have twins!

So let me now put on my Jean Dixon hat and make some predictions for 2013!

Prediction #1: DrG will be starving
DrG will follow the Special K diet for about 4 months. Seriously. I tend to do this every year as a means to overcome the chocolate overload associated with the holidays. For months on end I defy the odds as drug reps tempt me with delicious lunches from Lebanese Traverna and California Tortilla Factory among others. Eventually, I cave and start cheating. But my waistline usually improves a bit.

Prediction #2: Natural Cycle IVF
More patients will continue to pursue Natural Cycle IVF. Given the state of the economy and increased visibility of those patients successful with NC IVF, I predict that this approach will continue to appeal to a wide range of patients.

Prediction #3: Increased Use of PGS
The use of Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) will increase exponentially. For many patients the ability to transfer only genetically normal embryos will represent the most efficient way to achieve an ongoing pregnancy. Given that the cost of PGS is about the same as the cost of a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) it will make sound economic sense to screen embryos and thus reduce the rate of implantation failure and pregnancy loss. Remember that PGS will not improve the cumulative pregnancy rate but its use will reduce the number of embryos needed to be transferred in order to establish and ongoing pregnancy.

Prediction #4: Reduced Rate of Twins and Triplets
The increased use of NC IVF and PGS will assist us in maintaining our extremely low rate of IVF twins. Although some twin pregnancies are unavoidable (identical twins from single embryo transfer), the rate of non-identical multiples will continue to drop. Currently, Dominion Fertility has one of the lowest rates of embryos per transfer in the nation and therefore one of the lowest twin rates. Single embryo transfer is better for everyone.

Prediction #5: DrG Will Lose More Hair
Shocking but true. I will continue to be increasingly follicularily challenged. I wont dwell on this sad point but there is always Hair Club for Men....

So there you have them. My 5 predictions for 2013. I would post another 5 but I need to go eat a bowl of Special K...with Red Berries. Happy New Year!

Envoyer par e-mailBlogThis!Partager sur XPartager sur Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Article plus récent Article plus ancien Accueil

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Inscription à : Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Going to Blast!
    “Going to blast” is different than “having a blast.” When your RE talks about going to blast he/she is referring to the stage of embryo deve...
  • To Freeze or Not to Freeze...
    The previous post discussed egg freezing which is a much more difficult technique compared with embryo freezing which has a much longer, pro...
  • You say tow-mah-tow and I say tow-may-tow
    I agree that the medical profession has too many abbreviations and that it is hard to know how to act knowledgeable in front of your RE. So ...
  • Speaking the Truth with Love
    I was not one of the cool kids in high school. Part of this was because I was, more or less, a "goody-two shoes" and gave my paren...
  • Mistaken Identity
    Writing a book is a very interesting proposition and there some ups and downs along the way. When Mike (Dr. DiMattina) and I started the pro...
  • Question 30. Is there anything my husband can do to improve his sperm count, such as wearing boxers not briefs, taking vitamins or undergoing surgery?
    As we approach the all-star break in the MLB season (Go Red Sox!) I would like to present a theory I have about guys and their resistance t...
  • More on Donor Eggs
    It helps to read the instructions…carefully. This afternoon I was helping my son, Aaron, assemble a new baseball pitchback that he received ...
  • HSG vs HSC vs H2O sono...What is the difference?
    Medical terminology can really give patients fits and no where is this more apparent than in the distinctions between hysterosalpingogram (H...
  • Question 25. I have PCOS and am still not having normal cycles with metformin. What comes next
    PCOS is not at all an uncommon problem in our fertility practice. Although many OB GYN physicians advertise that they treat infertility, som...
  • Natural Cycle IVF, OHSS and Multiples
    Happy New Year to all those wonderful people out in cyberspace who read this blog. Mom, check your mail for the family calendar that I sent ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (10)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ▼  2013 (14)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (1)
    • ►  mai (1)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (2)
    • ►  février (1)
    • ▼  janvier (2)
      • Wicked Slippery
      • Happy New Year!
  • ►  2012 (30)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (1)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (2)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (6)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2011 (28)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (3)
    • ►  octobre (1)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  juillet (3)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (3)
    • ►  mars (5)
    • ►  février (3)
    • ►  janvier (2)
  • ►  2010 (52)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (6)
    • ►  octobre (5)
    • ►  septembre (4)
    • ►  août (1)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  juin (3)
    • ►  mai (4)
    • ►  avril (9)
    • ►  mars (13)
    • ►  janvier (1)
  • ►  2009 (22)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (2)
    • ►  septembre (2)
    • ►  août (2)
    • ►  juillet (4)
    • ►  mai (2)
    • ►  avril (1)
    • ►  mars (3)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (3)
  • ►  2008 (27)
    • ►  décembre (2)
    • ►  novembre (1)
    • ►  octobre (3)
    • ►  septembre (6)
    • ►  juillet (1)
    • ►  juin (2)
    • ►  mai (3)
    • ►  avril (2)
    • ►  mars (1)
    • ►  février (2)
    • ►  janvier (4)
  • ►  2007 (66)
    • ►  décembre (1)
    • ►  novembre (5)
    • ►  octobre (6)
    • ►  septembre (7)
    • ►  août (11)
    • ►  juillet (13)
    • ►  juin (22)
    • ►  mai (1)
Fourni par Blogger.

Qui êtes-vous ?

Unknown
Afficher mon profil complet